Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Boya's 1st visit to the doctor

Yesterday Boya and I went to our respective doctors. It was very convenient coz our doctors shared 1 clinic. He gained .5 kg and was given several vitamins. Ferlin for iron supplement and heraclene to stimulate his appetite. 1 medicine prescribed by the pedia made his Lola Alma freak out though-phenobarbital. According to our readings, this drug is administered to premature babies. It also has lasting side effects which are not good.
First of all, Boya is not a premature baby. It just so happened that he weighed less at birth compared to his sisters. Both Louise and Viona weighed 6.42 lbs at birth while Boya weighed 6.05. Not much of a difference. Besides, I have a petite frame so it is but normal for me to give birth to small babies.
I'm grateful I have a mom who's a nurse. I can always ask for a 2nd opinion. And her recommendation? Change pedia! We'll be going home to Manila soon and we will surely have another pedia.
Lesson learned: Always have a 2nd opinion before giving meds to my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment